Posted November 6, 2015
By Rosemary Long
Libraries continue to be represented in popular media as book repositories, a place for story time, and – in the most progressive TV shows – a place where people use (get this!) real, live computers!
Popular culture hasn’t caught up with the reality of today’s public library, where the mission has transitioned from providing information to delivering outcomes-based learning. Not just information seeking, but engaging in active learning. Gale’s online education programs helps libraries impact lives by supporting education, skills development, and personal enrichment.
Serving the needs of users aged 3 to 103, Gale resources support learners seeking help with early literacy, high school diploma attainment, college prep, career exploration, and business skill enhancement in areas of management and business software training.
- Miss Humblebee’s Academy – an interactive experience that supports early learning and literacy for children ages 3 to 6 that helps parents track curriculum progress and includes reporting tools to help libraries measure the educational impact.
- Testing & Education Reference Center– test prep, college research, career exploration/development, and other resources to support life transitions. It covers:
- Standardized test preparation—ACT, SAT, GED, HiSet, TASC & more
- College readiness—research programs, find tuition assistance & more
- Career development and exploration
- International tools—prepare for the TOEFL ( iBT), TOEFL (PBT), TOEIC, and U.S. Citizenship tests with online practice tests and eBooks
- Career Online High School – help adult patrons earn their diploma through this structured, supported, online high school completion program, while preparing for a career in one of eight high-demand, high-growth fields; patrons can access programs 24/7.
- Skillsoft – 250 online, self-paced courses deliver on-demand business skills training. Courses include interactive practice & assessment, and completion & scoring. Certificates awarded on completion.
- Gale Courses – more than 350 instructor-led online courses support professional development, technology skill development, and personal enrichment. New courses begin every six weeks.
Learn more about our resources and how to enhance lifelong learning for your patrons.