Gale is continually updating and adding new content to our In Context products, ensuring that they offer timely, authoritative, useful information. The items below were added or updated during the week of October 13, 2014.
Biography in Context
- New homepage video and Spotlight for Malala Yousafzai, 2014 Nobel Peace Prize winner (announced October 10)
Global Issues in Context
- 43 portal pages have been updated including:
- Censorship of the Press
- Kurdish Conflicts
- Mexico’s Drug Wars
- Same-sex Marriage
- Sports and Drug Use
- Syrian Civil Unrest
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- 5 new portal pages nowappear:
- Russia and Ukraine Conflicts
- Community Policing
- Multiracial America
- Road Rage
- Teen Suicide
- 5 new homepage spotlights are also featured:
- An image focusing on the recent protests by pro-democracy students and citizens of Hong Kong in hopes of changing the political system.
- An image in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October).
- An image that focuses on Bullying Prevention Month (October).
- An image covering the recent decision by the Supreme Court lifting the Gay Marriage ban in Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
- An image of Code Pink for Peace members protesting recent military action against ISIS by from the US government.
- New homepage video is featured: From the NYTimes.com Video Collection, the video discusses the long-term emotional and physical effects children suffer from the result of bullying. This is a special video for Bullying Prevention Month.
Science in Context
- 19 portal pageshave been updated. Examples include:
- Alzheimer Disease
- Ebola and Other Hemorrhagic Fevers
- Forensic Science
- Genetic Disorders
- Global Warming and Climate Change
- H1N1 (Swine) Flu
- Nobel Prize Winners
- States of Matter
- A Frontline video on the Ebola outbreak is featured on the homepage and on the Ebola portal page.
- The Nobel Prize Winners portal is also featured on the homepage; it includes recent New York Times articles on this year’s winners.
- Portal pages have been updated with content, both text and images, from the 5th edition of Gale Encyclopedia of Science (2014).