“Teaching middle school is an adventure not a job,” says author and educator, Angela K. Bennett. There’s no doubt grades 6 to 8 are among the most important for young teens and pre-teens to develop learning skills to launch them into high school and beyond. And until now, resources to support an integrated learning adventure have been few and far between, making teaching and supporting learning for this curious group a challenge. But the tide is turning with a new highly-visual resource featuring authoritative content that’s been designed specifically for middle school learners.
Posted August 7, 2015
Noted Russian poet and author once said, “Literature is the art of discovering something extraordinary about ordinary people, and saying with ordinary words something extraordinary.”
Literature opens doors to understanding ideas, people, and cultures. Extraordinary tools enable greater understanding and expand opportunity for discovery. And now, with upcoming enhancements, three landmark Gale literature resources will provide a more welcoming and accessible experience for literature researchers at all levels.
Posted on July 24, 2015
Updates have been made this week to the rich content found in Gale’s In Context products. Check-out what’s new.
Canada In Context
New homepage spotlights have been added featuring updated content on Evangeline Lilly and Jack Layton. Also look for new content additions on Alexander Graham Bell.
A new video has been added to the home page from the CBC on the Dieppe Raid: “70th Anniversary of Ill-Fated Invasion in Dieppe, France.”
Research In Context
The newest database in Gale’s In Context family has even more content that’s been added this week. Some of the additions to the homepage spotlights include:
Posted on July 10, 2015
Take a look at some of the recent content added to Gale’s In Context databases:
Global Issues In Context
Just over 30 portal pages have been updated this week with content. Some of the new entries you will see cover:
Library users who count on your library to support their business interests look for relevant, reliable content that’s accessible and easy to use. Well, thanks to upcoming changes to Gale’s business resources, they’re keeping the former and getting more of the latter.
Beginning August 7, PROMT, European Business ASAP, Business Index ASAP, Business & Company ASAP, General Business File, and Business International & Company Profiles will be automatically upgraded and replaced with Business Collection, a comprehensive, innovative new resource that incorporates their content. With nearly 4,000 leading business and trade publications, this resource provides the coverage and depth your business information consumers need most. And it delivers this information on the newly reimagined InfoTrac platform.
Biography in Context
- Five new spotlights for May went live on the homepage this week:
- Legendary American baseball slugger Babe Ruth
- Journalist and talk show host Julie Chen (Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month — USA)
- First Lady Michelle Obama, featuring her “Let’s Move” campaign (Physical Fitness and Sports Month — USA)
- Recently re-elected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
- The late Robert N. Noyce, co-inventor of the integrated circuit and a co-founder of Intel Corporation (National Inventors Month — USA)
- Featured Homepage Video: This month’s featured video highlights former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was a five-star general during World War II. It is a nod to VE Day (Victory in Europe Day) on May 8, 1945. This year marks 70 years since the end of the second world war in Europe.
- Launched 11 new portals including:
- Aharon Appelfeld, Israeli novelist
- Ansel Elgort, American actor, who was recently in “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Insurgent”