When winter sets in, so can that stubborn winter itch. In the winter, dry skin is more prevalent because of low humidity due to cold air outside and heated air inside. Homes heated with forced-air furnaces make skin even drier. The skin loses moisture and may crack and peel, or become irritated and inflamed.
Some strategies to help fend off dry skin this winter:
- Use moisturizer frequently
- Utilize a humidifier in your home
- Protect your skin from the sun
- Take shorter showers/baths that may be washing away your skin’s protective sebum (your skin’s sebaceous glands produce an oily substance called sebum).
- Avoid overusing antiperspirants and perfumes, since these products can dry the skin.
For more information about dry skin, visit: