Immigration and Migration: In Context, 1st Edition helps readers apply critical thinking to immigration and migration-related topics to fairly assess the issues impacting the world. Topics covered from a global perspective include acculturation, asylum seekers, DACA and DAPA, deportation, hate speech, historical migration patterns, unauthorized immigrants, xenophobia, and more.
Take Angel Island, for example. Did you know that there’s an island off the coast of San Francisco, CA, that was an immigration station from 1910 to 1940? Below are a few other facts you might not have known:
- Angel Island Immigration Station was modeled after New York’s Ellis Island.
- Those immigrants confined to the detention center spent days, weeks, and even months waiting for their cases to be processed.
- As a form of peaceful protest, many detained Chinese men wrote poems expressing grief, outrage, and hope, which they carved into the walls of the barracks. After the station closed, many poems were published. The immigration station is now a national historic landmark and is open for tourism.
Did you also know that in November 2014 President Obama approved a series of immigration-related executive orders known as the Immigration Accountability Executive Action that expanded DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) and introduced DAPA (Deferred Action for Parents of Americans)? Below are a few details you and your readers might not have known.
- 11.1 million unauthorized immigrants (as of 2014) live in the United States with Mexicans composing almost 52 percent of that total.
- A significant portion of undocumented immigrants in the United States is composed of minors and young adults who came to the United States as children. “Generation 1.5” are people who grew up American, read and speak English fluently, but don’t have the legal rights afforded to citizens.
- Republicans and Democrats acknowledge that reform is necessary, but there is little agreement—even within each party—about the policies needed to address the problem.
This resource uncovers key data to understand the roots of the issues that make contemporary migration and immigration so contentious around the globe.
If you would like to learn more or request a quote for the print or digital version, reach out to your Gale Representative.Nike SF-AF1