“At a time when people, ideas, products and fashions are flowing between Asia and other parts of the world in unprecedented quantities and at unprecedented speeds, there has never been a more pressing time to understand this complex and diverse continent, whether one lives within or far beyond its borders.”
— Jeff Wasserstrom, Editor, Journal of Asian Studies
Every Asian studies program should offer students a mix of opportunities to learn, both in and out of the classroom. Conferences held by organizations like the Association for Asian Studies and study abroad courses help students gain insight into current affairs and culture, giving more context to classroom learning.
When it comes to research though, academic library resources can help students make their own discoveries and connections from history, building critical thinking and comprehension skills. Gale offers a wide range of research materials focused on Asia.
China from Empire to Republic is a collection of English-language periodicals from 1817 until 1949 published in or about China, spanning the Qing Dynasty and the Republican Era, a time when the country saw great transformation.
Archives Unbound features a number of smaller collections that span milestones across the Asian continent. They range from titles like:
- Japan at War and Peace, 1930-1949
- Intelligence Reports from the National Security Council’s Vietnam Information Group, 1967-1975
- India-Pakistan Conflict: Records of the U.S. State Department, February 1963-1966
- Tiananmen Square and U.S.-China relations, 1989-1993
- German Foreign Relations and Military Activities in China, 1919-1935
Gale eBooks on GVRL includes many eBook titles focused on Asian studies, several published directly through the Gale Asia division, including:
- Chinese Architecture Series: Chinese Gardens
- Theory of Building Socialism with Chinese Characteristics: A Chronology
- A Study of the Scientific Outlook on Development: Theory and Practice
Find out how to get these and other Asian studies resources at your institution, or request a trial here. Air Jordan 1 GS