By Tina Creguer
Football coach Vince Lombardi’s popular axiom “Winners never quit, and quitters never win” applies to more than just sports. For libraries, it applies to award-winning business resources that keep delivering quality content with ongoing, persistent access, available 24/7.
Four Gale business eBooks were recently honored as 2014 Outstanding Business Reference Resources, a listing of 10 titles selected by the RUSA’s BRASS Business Reference Sources Committee. Two Gale titles were deemed “outstanding”; two titles, “notable.” Honored and humbled by these designations, we share this list with you:
- Encyclopedia of Major Marketing Strategies – lauded as being “a welcome addition to existing works on advertising and marketing, and provides an excellent overview of current tools and strategies. The essay topics are unique and timely, and the writing style is clear and readable.” [OUTSTANDING]
- Gale Business Insights Handbook of Social Media Marketing – described as “outstanding…[because the topic] is still in its emerging, albeit almost ever-present-in-your-face, stages. Covering a wide swath of social media topics…this title first provides reasons for using social media, and then goes over creating a marketing strategy, managing it, providing consistency, measuring its impact, and much more.” [OUTSTANDING]
- Encyclopedia of Emerging Markets – noted for its clear layout, depth of information, breadth of coverage, and for being less expensive than popular online databases, “making it a viable choice for smaller cash-strapped institutions that cannot afford expensive database subscriptions.” [NOTABLE]
- Gale Business Insights Handbook of Global Marketing – honored because “global markets have become the reality for many businesses and this resource helps business owners make practical marketing and other decisions that impact their bottom lines.” [NOTABLE]
Two additional selected titles from other leading publishers are available from Gale as eBooks:
- Business Scandals, Corruption, and Reform: An Encyclopedia from Greenwood Publishing Group – called “very timely for its relevance to current events and for academic study.” [OUTSTANDING]
- Sociology of Work: An Encyclopedia from Sage Publications – called a “superb” publication, “rich in content, intuitive to use, and highly recommended for public and academic libraries.” [NOTABLE]
Access that doesn’t quit
These and other business titles are available on yet another winner: the GVRL eBook platform, renowned for its quality content and stellar functionality. GVRL provides persistent URLs, which allow libraries to embed stable links in programming and resources lists – with the confidence that patrons will be able to link to these resources consistently and without redirection or dead ends. And eBooks have the additional advantage of being accessible around the clock by any number of users in your community. So, if you’re providing a workshop on competitive intelligence, an unlimited number of students will be able to access content simultaneously – without interfering with others reading the same content remotely.
About RUSA’s BRASS Business References Sources Committee
The Business Reference Sources Committee’s mission is to study and identify the need for and improvement in business reference sources both print and electronic and to promote communication between business reference librarians and the providers of business information. They also create a dialogue with publishers and information providers about information products and resources in an annual open forum. Each year, the committee identifies and honors outstanding business references resources. Gale is honored to be recognized by this prestigious group.
Access a free trial to these notable and award-winning titles today!
About the Author
Tina has been a library fan-girl since childhood, when she visited weekly with her family. She can be found many mornings standing outside her hometown library at opening time, waiting to nab a study room.